We are SO PROUD to present this groundbreaking study on the strains used in Just Thrive Probiotic (published August 15th, 2017 in The World Journal of Gastrointestinal Pathophysiology). This is the first time that a probiotic has been shown to significantly reduce leaky gut and all the associated immune activation in human subjects. If you’re familiar with Just Thrive Probiotic, you know that we set out to redefine what a probiotic is, and what it can do for human health. We looked beyond the conventional views on how to formulate a probiotic product and leaned instead on the latest science and research on the microbiome – along with clues from nature – to provide us with guidance on formulating a revolutionary product.
Using Metabolic Endotoxemia as a measure of intestinal permeability and chronic immune activation, Microbiome Labs (formulator of Just Thrive Probiotic) commissioned the University of North Texas to conduct a study on the ability of the spores to modulate how the gut and microbiome responds to a challenge meal. This study demonstrates the incomparable effects of our proprietary bacillus, multi-spore formulation on the gut, gut structure, gut function and its’ connection to the immune system and brain.
Here is a short summary of the findings and key points (scroll to bottom for link to study):
• Metabolic Endotoxemia (clinical leaky gut) is becoming recognized as the primary insult and driver of obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, inflammatory bowel disease, cognitive decline, immune dysfunctions and even conditions like Parkinson’s disease. It is characterized by dramatically elevated serum LPS (endotoxin) levels after a meal, along with elevated triglycerides, poor insulin response and elevated inflammatory cytokines, i.e. IL-6, IL-8, IL-1B and MCP-1. Elevations in these markers are shown to be hallmarks of chronic disease and the number one cause of morbidity and mortality in the Western world.
• The study screened nearly 100 young, healthy subjects for Metabolic Endotoxemia and discovered that nearly 50% of this population exhibited this endotoxic response to a high-caloric meal. Nearly half of young, healthy, normal weight, symptom-free individuals had a highly toxic response to eating food. The same toxic response that is responsible for causing metabolic syndrome, obesity, diabetes, autoimmunity, cancers and heart disease. This finding itself was surprising and quite staggering.
• Just 30 days of taking the bacillus strains used in Just Thrive Probiotic significantly reduced the endotoxic response to the same challenge meal, along with significant reductions in triglycerides, IL-6, IL-8, IL-1B and MCP-1. It is important to note, that no other interventions, diet modifications or lifestyle changes were imposed on these subjects. The only change was taking these bacillus strains or a placebo. Just 30 days of these strains effectively fixed their gut lining, favorably altered the immunological response to food, significantly decreased inflammation in the gut and systemically reduced the major hallmarks of chronic disease.
• Another significant finding was that these strains were able to restore some communication between the gut and brain, that was seemingly lost in most of these subjects. The levels of ghrelin (the hunger hormone) remained elevated in the placebo subjects, even after consuming a high-caloric meal. This indicates that the gut is not communicating the energy status of the digestive tract to the brain, thus the hunger hormone continued to remain high after the meal. After 30 days, we saw a restoration of ghrelin function and gut-brain communication, where the treatment group recorded a dramatic reduction in circulating ghrelin hormone after the high caloric meal. The lost communication on energy status and caloric intake between the gut and the brain was restored.
• In the subjects that did have an endotoxic response, their microbiome was not protective of the host. Within 30 days, the microbiome was changed from a non-protective confirmation to a protective confirmation, blocking the influx of highly toxic LPS into the circulation after a meal.
• The 30-day therapy also trended towards a better insulin response to the challenge meal, indicating that these bacillus strains likely conduct a favorable modulation of the endocrine response to food.
• The systemic, chronic immune activation from leaky gut is believed to be the driving force behind autoimmunity and inflammatory bowel disease, this response got worse by about 32% in the placebo group. This means in just 30 days, the condition got worse by a measurable amount. Conversely, the controlled group saw a significant reduction in chronic immune activation by using the spores. This can have significant implications for the treatment and management of autoimmune disease and inflammatory bowel disease.
• This is the first time that a probiotic has been shown to significantly reduce leaky gut and all the associated immune activation, in human subjects.
Note from Just Thrive Probiotic: We set out to create a product that becomes a foundational part of your approach to health and wellness. With this first published study, we have demonstrated why Just Thrive Probiotic should be at the core of your journey to better health. Without stopping the daily endotoxic response to consuming foods and the significant inflammation that follows, maintaining health, treating immune dysfunctions, cognitive dysfunction, and chronic disease becomes an uphill battle.
This is just one of 9 ongoing clinical trials, so stay tuned for more exciting research from Just Thrive!